Layering Tips and Tricks for Fall Weather
By Laura Iglehart, Student at Georgetown University
It’s that time of year again when the trees get a little bit barer and the weather gets a whole lot colder.
Dressing for this in-between season can be a little awkward and even frustrating without the proper layers. Here is my guide to fall layering essentials!
The Fur Vest
I’m all about vests. Aside from warm apple cider, vests make trading in summer warmth for chill of fall a little less traumatic. Whether you’re a faux or authentic kind of gal, fur vests are the perfect addition to any fall outfit.
Consider wearing your fur vest these ways ...
- With milder weather, throw the vest over a short-sleeved dress or T-shirt and ripped jeans. The vest punks up the look just enough while adding an extra layer of warmth.
- When it’s 50 degrees or below, I typically add the vest on top of another jacket or thick sweater. Try layering a vest over an anorak or light jacket for an alternative cold day kind of chic. I also love throwing a vest over a thick (and preferably men’s) sweater for different kind of boyfriend style.
The Oversized Cardigan
There is nothing better than rolling out of bed on a chilly fall morning and throwing on a super cozy sweater and a pair of jeans. Sweaters come in all different colors, patterns, shapes, sizes, styles and fits, so finding one is relatively easy (Dads’ closets often prove fruitful when shopping for sweaters, too).
Here of some of my favorite ways to wear sweaters ...
- Throwing a sweater over a dress is a super easy and chic idea. You can even add a sweater over a summery, floral print dress or just over a black shift dress.
- Adding a long cardigan over basically anything is also simple and stylish. I like to wear my long cardigans over jeans and printed T-shirts or over long-sleeved dresses for a more formal occasion.
This is me telling you to rid your wardrobe of leggings. They are not pants, never will be pants and are only appropriate for the gym or as an alternative to pajama pants. Just don’t do it!
Instead, consider the sheer equivalent of tights. Stockings, pantyhose, tights – whatever you call them – can be found in an array of prints and colors, perfect for transitioning some of your favorite summer pieces into fall.
Try wearing them like this ...
- Tights under a pair of shorts are a trendy approach to incorporating summer shorts into cooler weather. Opt for a darker pair of shorts to wear with a blazer and a pair of boots for a unique fall outfit.
- Perhaps my favorite fall outfit (and one that ties together my fur vest, oversized sweater and tights) is layering a dark, floral print dress over black ribbed tights, adding my navy v-neck cashmere sweater and topping off with my fur vest and a pair of boots.
Here's to staying comfy, cute and warm!
Image courtesy of nuttakit / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
- Freshman Year
- Campus Life
- Diploma Diaries
- Shop UChic
UniversityChic RT @MsCareerGirl: True stories, tips, tricks for achieving a fabulous future #DiplomaDiaires t.co/QGf9X1DXug
UniversityChic RT @hgettle12: IT'S HERE!!!! I'M FINALLY PUBLISHED!! #UChic #DiplomaDiaries t.co/xSW4iOhaEB
UniversityChic Want to win a free copy of our new book #DiplomaDiaries & a @sesame box? Details here: t.co/tPI8U0sD2N #UChic t.co/PlIUGQDOJD
UniversityChic Founder/Publisher of #UChic Christie Garton plans the perfect #graduation party on @fox4kc t.co/DoyWZo13oM t.co/4Tbvcct8O2
UniversityChic 5 Tips to Keeping Your Mind #Active Over the Summer: t.co/9enzxCP7pl #UChic @goodhealth @WomensHealthMag #Healthy #Read #Exercise
UniversityChic What are you most concerned about in the post-grad world? Tweet us your answer for a #freegiveaway #DiplomaDiaries t.co/ZuPUCboXEc
UniversityChic @usatodaycollege @usatoday We are so excited to see the #DiplomaDiaries series go live on #usatoday! #postgrad #graduation
UniversityChic Congrats to our published #DiplomaDiaries authors! @piperwesle828 @ericaleexo @modmanuscript @DeborahMusolff @stephamazing
UniversityChic RT @Ashley_Tripp: As Social Media Editor for @UniversityChic & recent journalism grad, I couldn't be more proud to see this on @fox4kc http…
UniversityChic Congrats to our published #DiplomaDiaries authors! @jrh2899 @hgettle12 @Megbomb @olearypd @jennazhu @emmad04